June 12, 2008

sometimes you just need a welsh poet

There are plenty of old black man hanging out on the streets in my neighborhood and they usually give the best compliments, everything from "you are lookin beautiful today" to "and I thought they said real women don't wear plaid, but girl you are looking great". It's such a shocking contrast to the icky 20 something year old guys who will either give you creepy looks or not even notice you.

Men opening up doors for me, who cares really - but there is sometimes the earning for gentlemen to make a stern come back into society. Summer sales boys, law students, bleh - I'm done with that - give me someone with a soul.

If he was 60 years younger and he was still alive I would date Leslie Norris. I'll never forget the day he came and spoke in my WWI lit class and talked about hanging out with Dylan Thomas, his dad in the war, reading some poems, and I loved how his eyes got big when he said the words "the old mole".

Sometimes you just need a welsh poet - so here are some files to listen to of him reading some poems in his soothing voice.

Borders
A Sea in the Desert
A Visitation from a Welshmen

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I took a class on WWI and Modernism a few years ago and my professor used lots of great recordings of Leslie Norris reading WWI poetry. Something about that soulful voice reading Wilfred Owen...brilliant. Thanks for putting some of his readings up!

Unknown said...

oh bliss--like floating or sailing or something lulling and wonderful

lia said...

for some reason, this took me right back to those perfect summer nights when i was a kid and my dad would read me to sleep (usually chronicles of narnia)... oh the beauty of words and voice.