June 12, 2008

oh yes! oh prompt!

A few years ago a dear friend told me about an exercise her poetry class did. I loved the idea so much then that I wrote a poem about the bellies of whales and army boys dressed in green dying of nostalgia (what is now known as a form of homesickness was, in the late 1800s, a textbook disease). I'm curious to see what things look like six years later so if you get a minute, consider the following prompt. The teacher gave each student a title and asked them to write an accompanying poem. This is what my friend got:

"What We Talk About When We Talk About Love"

It's one of those titles I wish I had written. Anyway, please post whatever might come of this little exercise (excepting Raymond Carver's original story...), and/or post other titles for us to play with!

4 comments:

lia said...

this is so perfect - give me a few days...

Unknown said...

wonderful...i can't wait!

Patricia said...

When I was 12, I knew this young married couple. She once told me that she shaved her legs every day because she knew he loved the way it felt to feel them smooth against sheets. Then, I thought it was absurd. But now I’m looking around me at TV passion and the indifference of so many people walking with arms to their sides, and I desperately want to find her. Track her down. Ask her in gasps: do you still shave your legs?

Unknown said...

that is so beautiful.