September 13, 2008

WCW & The Sea

I've been missing the ocean lately and this is why:

I miss November at the beach, when it is still except for waves and birds, when everywhere you look is just sand for miles, a bit of thin sun. I took this picture almost five years ago at my favorite spot on my favorite beach in California. It is the spot that, even years later, still feels like home. Everyone needs a few of those spots, I think.

I have also been on a bit of a William Carlos Williams kick and he has a small section about the ocean that fits perfectly:
(from Asphodel, That Greeny Flower)

But the sea
which no one tends
is also a garden
when the sun strikes it
 and the waves
are wakened.
I have seen it
and so have you
when it puts all flowers
to shame. 

3 comments:

Thelma said...

Whenever I'm near the sea I feel so humbled - standing in front of a force that is so beautiful and powerful it must be respected. Thank you so much for this!

lia said...

i have been really transfixed by photographs of "awakened waves" lately - the texture is so silky, so smooth, and yet feels false when captured in the construct of a 2-D still life. if we were to attempt to recreate the surface of the sea, perhaps as a sculpture or painting, it could only represent that instantaneous moment when the water molecules were held in a perfect rounded form by the gravitational pull of the earth. perhaps all organic particles are the same in that sense. perhaps that instantaneous moment of capture can't help but be false and yet rapturously lovely at the same time.

Unknown said...

perhaps that instantaneous moment of capture can't help but be false and yet rapturously lovely at the same time.

i love that. i think it is so true. thank you.