September 25, 2008

The Museum would like...

I saw the Richard Misrach exhibition at the National Gallery of Art the day before they took it down. Misrach (b. 1949) does these ginourmous chromogenic prints of people on the beach and in the water from the top floors of a Hawaiian hotel he was staying in.

I caught myself searching through all the lounging people for...myself, scrutinizing each face to see if it was me. Completely bizarre really, checking someone else's image of the world to see if you're represented, searching for reassurance that you have a place, that you were able to eke out your own patch of beach.Well apparently this up close soul searching made the museum nervous, because a 16 year-old museum employee interrupted me to say, "Sir, The Museum would like to remind its patrons to stand at least one foot away from the photographs."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

weren't these so unbelievably, consumingly huge?

lia said...

i think i spend half my time at museums dodging museum employees. no cameras? one foot?? NO THANKS!

but on a more serious note:
i am unbelievably in love with the first piece you've posted. i love the immediate vastness and simultaneous sparseness of it. i with i could see it in person. i wish that we were both pictured, laying on a towel, reading wendell berry.
oh how i miss you, mr. marcy.