November 16, 2008

Sublime Things: Emerson and Exiles

So here are two things from me;

1) This quote from Emerson I'm in love with : "to go into solitude, a man needs to retire as much from his chamber as from society. I am not solitary whilst I read and write, though nobody is with me. But if a man would be alone, let him look at the stars. the rays that come from those heavenly worlds will separate between him and what he touches. One might think the atmosphere was made transparent with this design, to give man, in the heavenly bodies, the perpetual presence of the sublime. seen i the streets of cities, how great they are!..."

And here are a few art works from my neighbor Nyan Soe. I frequently go over to his place where 2 other artists live and they teach me and two other young girls from Burma how to draw. Really really sublime.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh thelms, this is so what i needed to read/see this morning. please post some of your drawings!

Amanda said...

I second that!