January 5, 2009

welcome to the world of Burmese hip hop

So I've seen a lot of bad music videos come out of Burma, and honestly most of the pop music I had heard coming out wasn't my cup of musical tea. So when I heard awhile back of Burmese hip hop artists being arrested for political activity, it went into the corners of my saddened heart with others political prisoners. Then last night I was hanging out at my neighbors and one of the young guys who just came out of Burma put on a video of Burmese rappers and my mind got blown. These guys are awesome (at least to my ears) and the fact that they are also activists - well that's a whole new kind of love/adoration/crush.
I want people to send this out there because its a new vision of Burma - its not villagers huddled in the jungle, away from troops and its not monks marching in the streets -- nope this are guys who you would hang out with (or maybe want to) and also listen to.

No comments: