January 11, 2009

be. still. my. <3.

so dc was about one billion exquisite things this week but last night was something else altogether. because last night i saw the national symphony orchestra perform prokofiev, schumann, AND beethoven. and with all the glittering gorgeousness of the chandeliers above me, nothing prepared me for the pure bliss of lynn harrell playing schumann's cello concerto in a minor (2nd movement). this is is the master rostropovich playing it:


this is a comment from the youtube page, which sounds over the top but might just be true: "If only the opening section of this slow movement could last for all eternity... humanity would surely enter a blissful state of endless music and beauty!"

2 comments:

Amanda said...

So jeaous! That souns like it was an amaazing concert! Thanks for sharing this. And I love that guy's glasses.

(Word verification: "aroma")

lia said...

oh, my heart, my heart, my heart. endless music and beauty hardly seems enough to quantify this phrase.