January 22, 2009

Translated Woman

New Hero: Ruth Behar

"As I undid necklaces of words and restrung them, as I dressed up hours of rambling talk in elegant sentences and paragraphs of prose, as I snipped at the flow of talk, stopping it sometimes for dramatic emphasis long before it had really stopped, I no longer knew where I stood on the border between fiction and non-fiction." (From Translated Woman)

I'm starting this ethnographic essay and the syllabus began with that quote. Pretty perfect, considering the things I've been writing lately. Anyway, she seems like an amazing woman and I'm excited to read this book!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Nice! Keep me posted on this class, please!

lia said...

OH MY. serious?? how do people write like this? how do words become the most beautiful thing i have ever seen?