December 4, 2008

Old Russia in Color

Seeing the post about the 1930s in color reminded me of the works of Sergei Prokudin-Gorskii. In the early 1900s Prokudin-Gorskii formulated an ambitious plan for a photographic survey of the Russian Empire that won the support of Tsar Nicholas II. Between 1909-1912, and again in 1915, he completed surveys of eleven regions, traveling in a specially equipped railroad car provided by the Ministry of Transportation.

He was quite the scientists and gis own original research yielded patents for producing color film slides and for projecting color motion pictures. Around 1907 Prokudin-Gorskii envisioned and formulated a plan to use the emerging technological advancements that had been made in color photography to systematically document the Russian Empire. And bless Library of Congress for finding out ways to print them in color.

I think when I see these color photographs it helps erase my stigma of the "past" - they are no longer figures, but human beings.



2 comments:

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

I don't think I've ever noticed the barrier that black-and-white photographs puts up. They do seem old. Weird.

Lia said...

oh my - they do appear to be real, suddenly, strangely. what an interesting thing color does to us.