December 8, 2008

here's to non-ant living.

tombell graciously shared this brilliant photo gallery with me. click on the "touching strangers" album, which is exactly what it sounds like: richard renaldi went around and asked strangers to touch each other, and photographed them after. here is one example, but do check out all of them.


it reminds me of that wonderful scene in "waking life," when wiley bumps into that woman who dreams about that insane soap opera... he says the customary "excuse me" after bumping into her, and she responds:

"Hey. Could we do that again? I know we haven't met, but I don't want to be an ant. You know? I mean, it's like we go through life with our antennas bouncing off one another, continously on ant autopilot, with nothing really human required of us. Stop. Go. Walk here. Drive there. All action basically for survival. All communication simply to keep this ant colony buzzing along in an efficient, polite manner. "Here's your change." "Paper or plastic?' "Credit or debit?" "You want ketchup with that?" I don't want a straw. I want real human moments. I want to see you. I want you to see me. I don't want to give that up. I don't want to be ant, you know?"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

!!!!! yes. this is so what i needed.

lia said...

oh, that is a wonderful scene. this quote, this photographic series, this post, reminds me of the realization i awoke to this summer and have been obsessed with ever since: that we, as human beings, long to touch one another, that there are so many emblems in the universe that lead us to reach out and hold hands, even as we fall from the sky, even as we cradle ourselves in isolation. sometimes the air itself acts as a way of allowing us to connect dots between each other, allowing us to breathe in the same oxygen and carbon dioxide that has passed through our neighbor's epithelial cells and cavities. sometimes it's a telephone wire from one house to the next, or an internet blog, like this, but in some magical way, we are touching hands with strangers and with each other and remembering how to love.