July 31, 2008

The wonders of the suit







There was this hilarious moment in my house this week when we were preparing our roommate Mike for an upcoming interview. Mike as a New York communist fella doesn't wear suits all too often so we were trying to help him out. Carl, being the same size of Mike would wear a suit, and Mike would wear the other option then they would change it up and Melissa and I judged which worked best. Lengthy conversations about collar size, ties, colors, vests, etc ensued and I must say I gained a greater appreciation for men's wear. Usually I don't trust suits, the smell of corporatism and sterile hallways, for me usually just give me a man straight out of the mountains. But these suits, wow, they speak of wonders, not of corporations and hierarchy but of the male form. Perhaps its the fact that my Mom as a fashion designer and seamstress and I grew up parading through her sewing room in patterns and fabrics that the sight of something really well made still brings me joy.

So here is a brief tribute to Men and their fabulous garments as brought to us by the Sartorialist (and J Crew)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

there is something so beautiful about well cut clothes. and you know how i feel about grey suits. good grief!

Amanda said...

If suits were songs, then that Italian grey flannel would be an operetta.