July 22, 2008

cuteness defeating global evil

Today my boss Aung Din had me proofread a speech he will give to the UN this week on prisoners of conscience. A lot of it was about his time as a political prisoner in Burma.

"I was arrested by the military intelligence, which is known in Burma as MI, on a passenger bus, while I was moving from a hiding place to another. A group of strong men forcibly removed me from the bus, blindfolded me, and handcuffed me at my back and threw me into a waiting truck. For two hours, I was on the floor of the truck, lying and facing the dirty floor, and these men put their boots on my body. For them, I was defeated. I heard their voice, reporting to their boss, using a walky-talky, that their mission was accomplished. I realized that a gate of hell was open.
"

He then goes on to talk about his torture, solitary confinement, confinement in total darkness, and more. It was pretty overwhelming. He is a stoic uncommunicative Burmese man who rarely speaks and has many serious health problems. I had never heard the details from him about his time in prison. I know many Burmese who have been imprisoned and many of my heroes still are.

And so I took a cue from my boss and did what he does to help with the pain - I looked up on google images of puppies. Seriously, his desktop on his computer is that of puppies and kittens. He has problems relating to people after so much he's been through, but animals, animals, he loves.

So yes, puppies, bless you.

2 comments:

Kjerstin Evans Ballard said...

I do this. I give the most adorable baby animal award to porcupines, though seals and, surprisingly, sloths, are contenders to be reckoned with.

Unknown said...

yes puppies. they're sometime the only thing that can get me through.