April 17, 2009

when in childhood


Yesterday my friend Jess and I drove around town getting lost and more lost but we were happy winding down streets that deadended or took us to the opposite of where we needed to be. We were en route to pick up some popsicle molds from a Freecycler but things happened and we didn't get them. But we did go home and have lemonade popsicles and Jess told me the most lovely story that I wanted to share with you.

She was a little girl, maybe 6 or so. She was at a house and her aunt was somewhere in the house cleaning or something. Jess was playing but suddenly caught sight of the sunset and it was so staggeringly gorgeous that she started calling out for her aunt, who came running saying, "What is it what is it?" because when a child calls the first thing an adult thinks involves a crash, but Jess wasn't hurt, she was struck amazed with the beauty before her. She pointed and her aunt looked and saw and said, softly, "I'm so glad you called me," and she knelt down and gathered Jess in her arms and together they watched the sun set, all fire and gold, into the horizon.

I hope we all have an occassion to tell this to a person, "I'm so glad you called me"--it is one of the most beautiful things I have heard in a long, long time.

No comments: