April 28, 2009

pessoa, a man after my own heart

my friend sarah just wrote a glorious essay that talked about fernando pessoa, a truly stunning writer. if you have not read his book of disquiet, i highly recommend it--it is infuriating and wonderful simultaneously. and since i'm in the process of avoiding real work, i will include a great quote on working:

I'm astounded whenever I finish something. Astounded and distressed. My perfectionist instinct should inhibit me from finishing; it should inhibit me from even beginning. But I get distracted and start doing something. What I achieve is not the product of an act of my will but of my will's surrender. I begin because I don't have the strength to think; I finish because I don't have the courage to quit. This book is my cowardice.

No comments: