March 2, 2009

Something I Wish I Wrote


My brilliant friend Katherine gave me a book full of lovely things a few weeks ago and I'd like to share an except here. The book is called vacansopapurosophobia 2: the fear of the blank page (awesome title, right?) and it is a collection of creative writing by young students who are part of the 826michigan project. It is basically a book full of things that older kids like us probably wish we had written. Take, for example, this short story by nine-year-old Leilani Tuinukuafe:

***
big idea

I was walking home from school. Then this big idea came in my head. I stopped at my mailbox to check to see if there was any mail but my idea didn't work because the mail was already in the house.

I walked sadly to my front porch. I rang the doorbell with my shoulder because my hands were full of sadness. My mom answered the door.

I asked her, "Did I get any mail?" but she wasn't listening so I decided to get a snack instead of crying. When I sat down at the table there was a little white envelope. I climbed on the table to get a closer look.

The letter was small and it had my name and my little sister's name. I felt a happy chill in my body. It had a stamp on it that looked like a bride. I ran to my mom to show her the letter but there wasn't any room for me to sit by her. I was so excited that I sat on the edge of the couch. I slowly opened the envelope. The letter looked sparkly and white. When the envelope was fully opened my eyes started to get full of happy tears.

On the cover of the letter was a beautiful girl dressed in a sparkly dress. On the side of the girl it said, "Will you be my flower girl?" I was so excited that I fell on the ground. A big smile appeared on my face. Yes! I wll be your flower girl, I thought.

I started to get a little scared because what if I tripped or fell and everyone was staring at me. I didn't even know how to walk down an aisle. I haven't even been to a wedding. The good thing was I was going to be a flower girl with my little sister instead of by myself. I guess it's okay, I said to myself. Now, each time I look at the letter, I smile.
***
I rang the doorbell with my shoulder because my hands were full of sadness? Dear heavens!

What are some things you wish you had written or created?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

holy, holy cow. i love this! i was listening to miles davis the other day and i really wish i had written that entire album, kind of blue. like, a lot.

Thelma said...

Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth - wish I wrote that