March 19, 2009

nostalgia thursdays

Tonight I was thinking about things that have meant a lot to me and it made me happy-sad. But the good happy-sad, the nostalgia kind, where your heart beats faster and things get all sepia-toned in your head. I thought about my cousins, who I love with my whole heart, about sappy guitar songs that I sang with the windows rolled down in my high school best friend's red Landcruiser, about the beach with the waves and the dolphins and pelicans banking this way and that. I thought about Cordoba and Positano and Aix-en-Provence and Certaldo--all those beautifully old fashioned towns with all that sun and love and fresh food. I thought about all of you. And I loved that each of your names brought a distinct and gorgeous memory that made me love you even more. So thanks for being wonderful.

Last fall Trish and I were lonely and sad in our new homes away from DC and each other. So we decided to watch every Wonder Years episode we could find on Youtube. We turned on our iChat and watched each episode. It was a poor substitute for face to face, but it got the job done. I will forever love the night we watched the following scene. We were in tears it was so beautiful and sad. I never loved Bob Seger more than in this episode. This episode captures that exact happy-sad I was trying to talk about before:


What things/people get you all sepia-toned in your head?

I mean, besides Bob Seger in B&W:

2 comments:

joojierose said...

i feel almost constant nostalgia - as if every expression, moment, and place has some reference point to something dear in my past. and i find that so beautiful... that one can never feel entirely disconnected from others, from our past, from our previous self - because it's all still stored inside so easily reached if we only just recall, you know?

Patricia said...

yes! this was so wonderful. it felt so good to feel at home with kevin.