October 23, 2008

Contemporary Burmese Artists

It seems that most of my friends here in Thailand in their life have been torn between political actions and the arts. And a discussion on arts and politics can be for another day here on the blog, but I started researching contemporary Burmese art to see if I could find some calls of revolution in them, and soon I realized that it didn't need to have scenes of protest in order for it to be revolutionary, just the act of creating something beautiful out of a national space governed by fear and tyranny - that quest for beauty is revolution in and of itself.

Artist: Myat Kyawt

Spring Trees

Lovers Under Trees

Monk At Platform

Artist: Mg Aw
(I love this painting of a woman adjusting her sarong, I saw it at a gallery in DC once, and it was so stunning then)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh. wow. i can't even describe how amazing i think these are...