October 14, 2008

a bit of self promotion. shameless, of course.

this is a repeat post from a new joint blog of mine exploring contemporary asian art. love the art, love the blog:

i'm sort of feverishly excited about the art21 website in general, but this documentary and these images are a breathtaking look into the work of chinese contemporary artist cai quo-qiang.



on chaos as a material in art:

With time you start to get to know the material. You actually develop a way to know how it will behave, to a certain degree. First, you have to accept that it’s uncontrollable and that there is an accidental element. You have to accept it and then work with it. I’ve worked with the material for so long that I’ve gained an understanding of how it works. Sometimes I can control it better than I realize, better than I expect. Then at that point it becomes stagnant. So it’s very important that there is always this uncontrollability that’s a part of the work. My way of doing it is just to flow with the material, go with the material and let it take me where it wants me to go. So I continuously want it to give me problems and obstacles to overcome.

2 comments:

Thelma said...

Contemporary Asian art!! huzzah, I'll keep my eyes open for it as well. And I while in LAX's internatinal lounge I checked out the Art 21 site - amazing, i'll have to explore it more

Unknown said...

oh wow--i am in LOVE with this and this concept for a blog.