August 5, 2008

Celebration of Friendship/1

On the outskirts of Havana, they call friends mi terre, my country, or mi sangre, my blood.
In Caracas, a friend is mi pana, my bread, or mi llave, my key: pana from panaderia, bakery, the source of wholesome bread to sate the hunger of the soul; llave, from...
"Key, from key," Mario Benedetti tells me.
And he tells how, when he lived in Buenos Aires in times of terror, he would carry five alternate keys on his key ring: the keys to five houses, to five friends: the keys that proves his salvation.

-Eduardo Galeano

(thank you for being my keys!)

2 comments:

ashmae said...

i love that so much. he knocks my socks off. thanks for posting it. i'm writing this in my journal.

Unknown said...

hooray! this man is so wonderful. i can't even begin to describe my complete love of him and his work.