July 29, 2010

Exile


Thelms shared the following video on her blog, but it was so delightful I wanted to pass it along again. It's of Sebastiao Salgado--a French-based photojournalist--and Eduardo Galeano--a Uruguayan writer. I remember seeing Salgado's exhibit in Salt Lake, Exodus. It was a collection of photographs documenting the movement of people due to natural disaster, war, and urbanization. I kept the ticket stub in my wallet for 5 years.

When Eduardo Galeano came to speak at BYU I was sort awed--as most of the room was--by his grace and presence. He was so composed. Having him read his own writing was incredible. During the conversation below he really wins over my heart, describing his first word upon birth: "GOOOOOOOAAAAALLL!"


Sebastiao Salgado and Eduardo Galeano with Amy Goodman, Conversation, 3 November 2000 from Lannan Foundation on Vimeo.

No comments: